I was thinking of making this kind of cake for a quite long time. But I kept delaying since this cake is quite complicated especially in making the mousse. To make a firm mousse the gelatine should be add-in. Since we don't have the halal gelatine here, I tried to use the veggie-gelatine. I tried to make the gelled-mousse last Thursday. First, I whisked the whipped cream until stiff. Then I put in the fridge. I tried to follow the similar steps in melting the gelatine together with the chocolate bar (I googled), but it did not turn out well. I thought maybe I made mistake during the steps. Since I do not wanna waste the whisked cream, I tried to make this cake yesterday without gelatine. Looks like it turn out well and delicious!
For the chiffon cake, I referred to the recipe from the Joy of Baking website. The demonstration video also can be viewed from there.
6 large eggs (separate the egg whites and yolks) + 1 egg white
2 cups cake flour*
1/4 cocoa powder*
1 1/2 cup of castor sugar (divided into 2)
2 teaspoon baking powder*
1/4 teaspoon baking soda*
1/2 teaspoon salt*
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 hot water + 1 teaspoon nescafe powder
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4.5 dl whipped cream
200 g cooking chocolate bar
Using the stand mixer, whisk the cream until stiff peak form. Put it the fridge.
Meanwhile, melt the chocolate bar (cut into small pieces) by double boiler method. Let it cool for a while.
By using spatula, fold 1/4 of the whisked cream into the melted chocolate until blended. Pour the remaining cream and mix it well. Similar method goes to the white chocolate mousse
White chocolate mousse
4.5 dl of whipped cream
200g of white chocolate bar
Chocolate ganache topping
1 cup of whipped cream
200 g of cooking chocolate bar
1 tsp butter (room temperature)
Heat the cream until simmer.
Put it the chocolate bar and let it soften
Add 1 tsp of butter and whisk until smooth.
Let it cool for a while before used.
1. Pre heat the oven at 165 degree C. Grease the baking pan (24 cm size) with the melted butter and line up with the baking sheet. Set aside.
2. Sift all the ingredients marked by *. Put in a large bowl
3. In a separate bowl hand-whisk together the egg yolks, half of sugar, vegetable oil, nescafe-water mixture and vanilla extract.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg mixtures and whisk until smooth.
5. In a separated bowl, using a stand mixer, beat the egg whites (6+1) until soft peak forms.
6. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar and beat until almost stiff peaks form.
7. With a rubber spatula or whisk, gently fold the egg white (in three additions) into the batter just until blended.
8. Pour the batter into the baking pan and put in the oven. Bake for 50-60 min (or when you insert the stick, it will come out clean).
9. Let it cool completely.
10. Cut the cake into 4 layers. For assembling, you can use a cake ring. Since I don't have it, I used the same baking pan. Line it with the plastic wrap, so that it will be easy to take out the cake later.
11. Place first layer of the cake, spread half of the white mousse, then cake layer, spread the dark chocolate mousse (all of it), the cake layer, spread the remaining white mousse and final cake layer. Cover the cake with plastic wrap.
12. Place in the fridge at least 4 hours.
13. Remove from the pan, and covered it with chocolate ganache topping.